Re: Git spurious dependency: rsync

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 12:18:03PM -0500, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-09-19 at 11:56 -0500, René Berber wrote:
> > Updating cygwin today git version 2.1.0-1 is pulling rsync.
> >
> > From git's documentation (i.e. no mention of rsync):
> >
> > "To install Git, you need to have the following libraries that Git
> > depends on: curl, zlib, openssl, expat, and libiconv."
> >
> > There's also no mention on the release notes.
> >
> > Is this a dependency error?
>
> No, rsync is required for git archimport.

Also, (I suspect) more commonly, for the rsync protocol used for
git-clone and friends.  See under "Git URLs" in `git help clone`.

If you're installing Git by compiling it from source, which is what I
assume the documentation is referring to, the requirements list is very
small; Git will happily compile without features that require the extra
libraries, just without access to those features.  The version of Git
that's distributed pre-compiled from the Cygwin repository mirrors,
however, aims to be feature-complete rather than having minimal
requirements.  As a result, it pulls in a lot of extra packages that
aren't necessary for basic Git functionality.