This is the mail archive of the cygwin mailing list for the Cygwin project.

Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: glib errors with latest gdb

On 9/12/2014 2:02 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
Hi Corinna,

On 8/28/2014 9:57 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Aug 13 16:57, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Aug 13 10:28, Ken Brown wrote:
I'm getting errors with the latest gdb when trying to debug programs
depend on glib.  Here's an example, run from an xterm window:

$ gdb /usr/bin/gvim
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.8
Reading symbols from /usr/bin/gvim...(no debugging symbols
(gdb) r
Starting program: /usr/bin/gvim
[New Thread 4860.0x1b44]
Traceback (most recent call last):
"/usr/share/gdb/auto-load/usr/bin/", line
9, in <module>
     from gobject import register
   File "/usr/share/glib-2.0/gdb/", line 3, in <module>
     import gdb.backtrace
ImportError: No module named backtrace

I see this error, too.  Unfortunately I'm not a python guru so this
is rather opaque to me.  gdb itself doesn't provide a gdb.backtrace
method, afaics.

However, despite this message, gvim starts normally.  And emacs-nox as
well as many other CLI applications can be started just fine, too.

But GDB hangs with emacs-X11 for some reason, even if I disable the
python modules.  From a quick GDB session it's not clear why this
occurs :(

I reported the problem upstream in a bugzilla entry already handling
strange GDB hangs:

That bug appears to be something different.  But I managed to fix the
problem without actually understanding the code.  I looked at cgf's
patches from his build of gdb-7.6.50-4, and I noticed that some of his
changes didn't make it into your gdb-7.8-1.src.patch.  The missing ones
are collected in the attached "cgf.patch" file.

If I apply that patch on top of your gdb-7.8-1.src.patch, the problem is
gone.  (The python warning is still there, but it seems to be harmless.)

I'm not sure when Corinna will be back from vacation, but if anyone wants to test my fix in the meantime, you can get it from my Cygwin repository:

There are instructions at that URL.


Problem reports:
Unsubscribe info:

Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]