This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Odd interaction between tab and backspace
- From: Mark Yagnatinsky <markyag at gmail dot com>
- To: cygwin <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2014 12:00:08 -0400
- Subject: Re: Odd interaction between tab and backspace
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAPbNvUxH88Dx2i8+7_P_EO8h=qkAd9LMRjEcW2ATQR06xs2-Sg at mail dot gmail dot com> <338004008 dot 20140907191440 at yandex dot ru>
I see nothing wrong with your English, but ... I'm running the same
version of PuTTY, and the problem persists. Could it be that I'm
running it on the same computer, as described at
On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Andrey Repin <email@example.com> wrote:
> Greetings, Mark Yagnatinsky!
>> I've tried the following in mintty and in putty, and it happens in both:
>> First, launch cat or grep or similar.
>> Type a line with some tabs in it.
>> Try to backspace them away.
>> The tabs are erased one space at time, leading to ... You know what,
>> why don't I just show you:
>> $ cat
>> 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 eh?
>> The above was produced by typing 0 through 9 separated by tabs, then
>> backspacing as much as possible, then typing 'eh?' The screen still
>> shows 0 through 6 followed by eh?, but all cat got was the eh?!
>> Is it a bug, a feature, or something else?
> I can only replicate it in mintty. In PuTTY 0.62 with putty-256color terminal
> and Ubuntu 8.04 running at the other end, I can not repeat it.
> Tabs get deleted all proper.
> Andrey Repin (firstname.lastname@example.org) 07.09.2014, <19:12>
> Sorry for my terrible english...
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple