This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Wow, just hit RCS bug (attn: Dr Volker Zell)
- From: Warren Young <warren at etr-usa dot com>
- To: Cygwin-L <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 19:04:14 -0600
- Subject: Re: Wow, just hit RCS bug (attn: Dr Volker Zell)
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <694832 dot 7961 dot bm at smtp113 dot sbc dot mail dot ne1 dot yahoo dot com>
On 4/16/2014 10:09, email@example.com wrote:
I just hit the worst Cygwin bug I've encountered, the RCS bug which
silently corrupts text files > 256K.
It's not a bug, it's a buffer size choice made with the rcs 5.8 release,
which affects Cygwin for reasons unknown.
GNU rcs 5.9.2 changed this functionality again in a way which may fix
2013-10-20 Thien-Thi Nguyen <XXX@XXX.org>
Relax RCS_MEM_LIMIT default; fall back if unspecified.
* doc/rcs.texi (Environment): Update ‘RCS_MEM_LIMIT’ description;
add a willful ignorance hint and speculation on its removal.
I built 5.9.2 under Cygwin with default build options, and it
successfully runs a test script that fails under the current Cygwin rcs,
which was posted by Don Hatch when this problem came up here 6 months
Dr Volker Zell, the maintainer of the Cygwin rcs package, did not
respond to that thread. A search shows only two emails from him to this
list since that time.
As far as I know, no one has investigated the reason why this change
causes a problem on Cygwin, but it would seem that replacing 5.8.2 with
5.9.2 would help.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple