This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: We need steenking patches (Re: Cygwin kill utility...)
- From: "Chris J. Breisch" <chris dot ml at breisch dot org>
- To: "cygwin at cygwin dot com" <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 20:28:07 -0400
- Subject: Re: We need steenking patches (Re: Cygwin kill utility...)
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <6CF2FC1279D0844C9357664DC5A08BA2464FF5 at MLBXV06 dot nih dot gov> <5F8AAC04F9616747BC4CC0E803D5907D0C8B85C2 at MLBXv04 dot nih dot gov> <20140408152118 dot GB4595 at ednor dot casa dot cgf dot cx> <5344236E dot 8020503 at aol dot com> <20140408164902 dot GD5812 at ednor dot casa dot cgf dot cx> <5F8AAC04F9616747BC4CC0E803D5907D0C8B89AF at MLBXv04 dot nih dot gov> <20140408181301 dot GD2731 at ednor dot casa dot cgf dot cx> <CAAXzdLUJaQ3ap06EPD51ua45d7vqmaPanCZRo9CZDPKmMfm5=w at mail dot gmail dot com> <20140409032833 dot GA2351 at ednor dot casa dot cgf dot cx> <CAAXzdLUk3L3zRcGoLmb=GM-rnF7K8Y=fqNA8n9gfgVhja5TL2Q at mail dot gmail dot com> <20140409055117 dot GA1878 at ednor dot casa dot cgf dot cx> <CAAXzdLXxAnB0JYHuvJj44ZAT=Uc-G12Xt+xsirnmiPBkOJ4U-w at mail dot gmail dot com> <53457A4C dot 1050104 at etr-usa dot com> <CAAXzdLVfbuWujEXQXsZY2_puq7JkEmJemeEZJ+DXhdQHb2wQLA at mail dot gmail dot com> <627347831 dot 20140410055843 at yandex dot ru> <CAAXzdLXrKtdb2unB8x_OfTtL3Tfa9gGqmHLOCVhhnWmeyNG1=g at mail dot gmail dot com> <5346B4EF dot 4060202 at breisch dot org> <CAAXzdLWhwVY=3f531eM72eF9PEwxO+_S0EmCsOi9SXWyJ6CPmg at mail dot gmail dot com>
Steven Penny wrote:
On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 10:12 AM, Chris J. Breisch wrote:
If you do what you have always done, you will get what you always got.
If Christopher wants to gripe on the mailing that his business, but he and
everyone else need to get realisic about the fact that not everyone is willing
to use a 20 year CVS. People criticize my suggestion as not a guaranteed fix.
Well guess what, nothing is a guaranteed fix for hard problems such as this. How
do you encourage more people to contribute? well you can start by making it
easier for them, which is what I am proposing.
And your proposal has been heard. Also other options have been
discussed. No one but you is talking about continuing forever with the
exact same technologies. But none of the options can be accomplished
with a snap of the finger. And continuing to complain and whine after
the discussion of what you seem to think is a problem will rarely
accomplish anything useful. Still, if it makes you feel better, by all
means continue, but I suspect that this thread is about to be locked
down, as it does not appear to serve any useful purpose at this point.
So, like Andy, pardon me if I'm not moved to tears by your difficulties
My difficulties? I dont see your name on this list
so perhaps you should get out of that glass house.
I'm not in a glass house, and I'll throw all the rocks I want, thank you
very much. I never said I had difficulty submitting a patch. I'm sure it
would be very easy to do. But my needs are general enough that I rarely
run into problems that haven't already been discussed here. I think I
have discovered one problem with file and path handling, but I haven't
had a chance to check to see if it's my problem or Cygwin's. In fact, it
may be another incarnation of a problem that's been discussed here a few
times. However, IF I verify that it is a Cygwin problem, and not mine,
and not a known one, I will likely use CVS and attempt to track down the
problem and submit a patch. I'm betting it won't be nearly as hard as
you seem to think.
So, again, pardon me if I'm not moved to tears by your difficulties.
Chris J. Breisch
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple