Re: Still testing needed: New passwd/group AD/SAM integration

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
* cygserver now provides system-wide passwd/group entry caching.

   All processes started *after* cygserver will try to fetch passwd
   and group entries from cygserver.  While this is probably a bit
   slow at the start, the longer cygserver runs, the more information
   is present and later started processes will get the information
   with all due speed.

This sounds awesome.

* Support for Cygwin user names different from the Windows username.

[snip]
   Therefore I think it would be better to remove this functionality.
   If you really think you have to use a username different from the
   Windows username, you should probably use a tiny /etc/passwd file
   with just this entry.  The new mkpasswd will create a default entry
   for you with just needs minor tweaking.

I haven't contributed much to this testing, but I'm on board with that idea.

* db_separator in /etc/nsswitch.conf

   Is it really such a good idea to have a configurable separator
   char in user and group names?  Is it important that it is
   configurable?  Is '+' a good choice for the default separator?
   Wouldn't the backslash a better and, perhaps, only choice?

It doesn't sound to me like that would be an issue with how you want to use things, but that's my only concern at the moment.

--
Chris J. Breisch