Re: Trouble with running cygwin dll on Vortex86MX+ CPU

On Apr  7 11:08, Colin wrote:
Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:

On Apr  4 09:44, Colin wrote:
Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:

Alternatively, even though I hate to point people to older versions
of Cygwin, you could try the old Cygwin 1.5.25.  I'm not quite sure,
but I think it was compiled for i586 or even i386.  It's not as
feature-rich as Cygwin 1.7 but it worked, and maybe the set of
POSIX functions is sufficient for you.  See the Cygwin time machine
at http://www.fruitbat.org/Cygwin/index.html#cygwincirca

If you want to go even further back in time, then MSYS may be the
right thing for you.  It's a rip-off of Cygwin 1.3.22 with a few
patches to supposedly building native executables a bit better.
Just make sure to grab the old MSYS, not the more recent MSYS2.
See http://www.mingw.org/wiki/MSYS

HTH,
Corinna

Cygwin 1.5.25 seems like a good option. So I downloaded setup-legacy.exe
from fruitbat and ran it on an XP machine which has not previously seen
Cygwin. Initially I installed just the base Cygwin files. The process ran
as expected, and installed 4,263 files in 472 folders.

However the bash shell appears non-functional as far as external commands
go. It presents a prompt bash-3.2$, if I type something like ls, it
responds command not found. Any ideas?

$PATH?

Indeed.  And if your path under bash doesn't include /usr/bin, then I'll
wager your postinstall scripts didn't run or at least completely/correctly.
See /etc/postinstall for the scripts.  If you aren't able to figure out
what didn't run properly, you can either try rerunning everything manually
and looking for faults (if any) or just rerun setup.exe and hope that it
has better luck with the scripts the second time around.

--
Larry