Re: Patch for run-1.3.0-1 core dump

On 3/20/2014 8:57 AM, Patrick Herbst wrote:
Did my earlier patch get included?  I haven't seen a "run" new version
yet.

My patch was the one that properly quote arguments.  Maybe let's start
with that before putting new stuff underneath it.  From Chuck: "I'll
roll a new update fairly soon."

I'm still looking for a released fix for this too.  Thus far I've been
using run 1.2.

Any word on this?

In the mean time, you can run it from /usr/local/bin if you like:

wget -O RUN-patch.txt 'http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=4SSPDGQh'
export CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@cygwin.com:/cvs/cygwin-apps
cvs checkout run
cd run
patch -p0 < ../RUN-patch.txt
autoreconf -vif
./configure --prefix=/usr/local
make
make install

You end up with:
/usr/local/bin/run.exe
/usr/local/share/man/man1/run.1

If you start natively from Windows, note that the run utility, by virtue of sitting in the same directory as the cygwin dlls, takes advantage of Window's behavior to find dlls in the same directory as the program being run. So by installing to /usr/local/bin, and running it from Windows (not from Cygwin shell), assuming Cygwin bin is not in your path, you lose that advantage. Then you have to modify the path where and when you execute run, or using run to launch /bin/bash -c command to run with a hidden shell as the parent, otherwise your app may not find what it needs.

If you start from Cygwin shell, you probably already have /usr/local/bin before /usr/bin in your path, but if not, make it so.