This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Cygwin needs a man-db port
- From: Erwin Waterlander <waterlan at xs4all dot nl>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 15:14:19 +0100
- Subject: Re: Cygwin needs a man-db port
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <5241EF7D dot 9080309 at xs4all dot nl> <52433E7A dot 4070600 at xs4all dot nl> <524341E5 dot 6080601 at xs4all dot nl> <5322EA04 dot 3040008 at xs4all dot nl> <5322FCE8 dot 50604 at breisch dot org>
Op 14-3-2014 13:58 Chris J. Breisch schreef:
Erwin Waterlander wrote:
The major linux distributions have switched for their man system to
'man-db' (http://man-db.nongnu.org/) in favour of the classic man.
I think that Cygwin should also switch to man-db. man-db is much better
in handling man pages in different encoding.
Before man-db, libpipeline (http://libpipeline.nongnu.org/) needs to be
ported, because man-db uses it.
I have tried to port man-db to Cygwin, but I did not succeed. I got
stuck in libpipeline. Did anyone else succeed?
I downloaded the latest version of libpipeline. It builds fine, but
all the tests fail with the following error:
Error in call to timer_create: Invalid argument
So, I downloaded the source for check. The version of check that we
have is a little out-of-date, but at a first glance, the code for
timer_create looks okay to me.
Hmmm...I built check using the cygport file and then went into the
tests folder and did a "make check" there. 5 of 6 tests failed and
with that exact same error.
The version of check we have is 0.9.10 from April, 2013. The ChangeLog
for 0.9.11 from November of 2013 contains the following:
Wed, Nov 4, 2013: Released Check 0.9.11
based on r856 (2013-11-04 02:09:21 +0000)
* Check compiles for Windows using the Cygwin environment, and all
unit tests pass.
There's also a check 0.9.12 from January of this year.
It appears to me that we should upgrade check to at least 0.9.11, as
I'm unconvinced that the current version is working.
It was in October when I tried. I also could get libpipelines and man-db
compiled, but it did not work properly. I had also failing tests in the
libpipeline package. In the end I could display a man page in Russian
and English of Vim, but man-db coredumped on the Fench man page.
I remember there were indeed problems with 'check'. At that time this
bug, http://sourceforge.net/p/check/bugs/88/, was still open. The author
of man-db suggested to set CK_FORK=no in the environment. That helped
for several tests, but the first test of libpipelines kept failing.
I also had a problem that I always got static libraries instead of shared.
Even when I explicitly configure with --enable-static=no
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple