This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Testers needed: New passwd/group handling in Cygwin
- From: Frank Fesevur <ffes at users dot sourceforge dot net>
- To: "cygwin at cygwin dot com" <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 13:18:25 +0100
- Subject: Re: Testers needed: New passwd/group handling in Cygwin
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20140227094951 dot GD2246 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <loom dot 20140227T134714-188 at post dot gmane dot org> <20140227134632 dot GG2246 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <765945729 dot 20140228031219 at yandex dot ru> <20140228120748 dot GN2246 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <87y50vc910 dot fsf at Rainer dot invalid> <20140228201047 dot GC2381 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <CAKf2h5TjyeMxuw=XkqoGMC8A_f+LpSzcx5nof5ViUBQ-0sYXFg at mail dot gmail dot com> <20140228210804 dot GE2381 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <CAKf2h5QbafQq25jndf8RdDGWsp_MMfziBep2Pe1H7rA+OmOCdA at mail dot gmail dot com> <20140303092114 dot GA26619 at calimero dot vinschen dot de>
2014-03-03 10:21 GMT+01:00 Corinna Vinschen:
> No, this is not mintty's fault. You have to understand that the
> request for information from the DC is called before the actual
> application had any chance to initialize, This happens before
> the application has, in fact, been called from the Cygwin DLL.
> Therefore, if the three seconds are a burden, there are three choices
> going forward:
> - We reduce the timeout to 1 second in general, which could be a problem
> when utilizing a slow VPN conncetion to the DC,
> - We allow the user to specify a timeout value and set the default to
> 1 second.
> - We stick to the 3 seconds and users should switch to files (/etc/passwd
> /etc/group) when being offline from their DC.
> I'm really not sure what the best way is, I guess we as a community have
> to dice this out somehow.
I think the second one makes most sense. Maybe even keep the default
timeout on 3 seconds. When the user can change the value, it is up to
them to play with it and figure out what works best for them. I
personally would try to set it to 1 second, since I almost never have
a slow VPN.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple