Re: Testers needed: New passwd/group handling in Cygwin

Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!

>> > 1 second?  That sounds still a bit slow.  Considering that I'm now
>> > member of 414 groups, and you are member of 440 groups, the extra number
>> > of groups cannot account for that.
>> >
>> >  This sounds surprisingly as if the
>> > names of some of your groups are not cached on your machine.  Or
>> > something.  Or is this a rather slow machine?!?
>>
>> It's not a slow machine by any means, but it certainly gets its fair share
>> of security policies, so it may have something to do with that.  I don't know.
>>
>> > Still, it seems like the right thing to do to drop the group name
>> > configuration stuff entirely.
>>
>> Yes (unless you'd want to make it configurable like the getpwent stuff).

> Nah, not really.  As I said, I'm questioning some of the old functionality
> anyway, and the less we have to ask AD the better for us.

> I applied my patch which removes this group name change facility from AD
> and uploaded a new snapshot to http://cygwin.com/snapshots/.

> While we're at it, I just had this weird idea.

> What if, as soon as the first Cygwin process in a process tree starts,
> this process not only caches the primary group info, but also caches all
> supplementary groups from the user's token?  This would slow down
> startup of the first process slightly, but it would speed up any
> subsequent request for group information of a group in the user's token.
> An `id' call would be almost instant, and `ls' calls would probably be
> faster as well.

Umhm. I'd have to see, how slightly. Because my primary use of Cygwin tools
does not expect to have a parent Cygwin process. (I.e. diff'ing between
file manager panels.)

> As always, there's a trade-off: Users running cygwin processes from CMD
> a lot would encounter a slowdown.

> What do you think, guys?

Needs some tests. I would certainly appreciate faster initial startups, but if
the delay is manageable, I can cope with more long-term friendly approach.
I've got entangled in current work and lost track of snapshots for now.
If there's some DEF's in library, that I can toggle and rebuild it with certain
features enabled and disable for local test, I'd be glad to have a round at it
over weekend.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...