Re: Installer cannot write to Cygwin's /usr/local/etc

On 16/02/2014 03:12, Gerry Reno wrote:
I have a Windows MSI installer that first loads Cygwin and then has a deferred copy of some files into /usr/local/bin
and /usr/local/etc.

The copies into /usr/local/bin succeed fine.

The copies into /usr/local/etc always get Access denied.

I've tried swapping them and same behavior.  The files that would copy into /usr/local/bin now would not copy into
/usr/local/etc.

I'm seeing this behavior on Windows 7 and Windows 2008R2 w/UAC.

The installer prompts the user for elevated privileges to deal with UAC.

Is there some underlying difference in the way that /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/etc are configured in Cygwin?

it should be no difference.
However you can check the Windows ACL with

$ cd /usr/local

/usr/local
$ getfacl bin
# file: bin
# owner: marco
# group: Administrators
user::rwx
group::r-x
mask:rwx
other:r-x
default:user::rwx
default:group::r-x
default:other:r-x

$ getfacl etc
# file: etc
# owner: marco
# group: Administrators
user::rwx
group::r-x
mask:rwx
other:r-x
default:user::rwx
default:group::r-x
default:other:r-x

however, I will not be surprised if setup run by a MSI have additional
limitation.

Can you install the same "package" by setup alone to compare ?