Re: Testers needed: New passwd/group handling in Cygwin

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 8:38 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> For as long as Cygwin has existed, it has stored user and group
> information in /etc/passwd and /etc/group files.  Under the assumption
> that these files would never be too large, the first process in a
> process tree, as well as every execing process within the tree would
> parse them into structures in memory.  Thus every Cygwin process would
> contain an expanded copy of the full information from /etc/passwd and
> /etc/group.

Stellar writeup! I read the whole post. I am happy to help, but I have couple of
questions

- How will this affect "normal" users, that is to say one admin user on one
  computer with no domain or networking? Will it be better to use this new
  system or keep /etc/passwd?

- Do you have any benchmarks available? Or instructions on how we could test the
  speed of the new system?