Re: Exploring the idea of going from MKS tooklt to Cygwin

On 1/29/2014 4:29 PM, mrushton wrote:
Can anyone give me any ideas or comments ?

I am exploring the idea of moving some scripting from the MKS toolkit to Cygwin.

I have all of these korn shell scripts that I use to poll our EDI
mailboxes, translated the EDI, ftp files to various servers, etc.

I am trying to go from Windows XP to Windows 7.

I tried running one of my menus under cygwin and it bombed out with
various errors.  Maybe I will create a new scripts directory and see if I
can modify them  to run under cygwin.

One of my first questions would be, how do I open a Cygwin window and
have  it run a shell script, like a menu ?

Wrap your invocation of the shell script in question with a batch file
would be the simplest approximation of what you want to do.  Keep in
mind too that Cygwin very much prefers POSIX paths and needs any
backslashes that are meant to indicate path separators to be escaped.
Look to 'cygpath' to help with this translation.

--
Larry