Re: AdminCygwin Release

>>> Remember that you have to host all of the source code as well as the
>>> binaries.
>>
>>Why do I neeed to host all the source code?  the sources are not
>>necessary to produce my binaries ... I don't compile any ...
>
> Because that is how the GPL works.  If you provide binaries, you
> provide sources.  This is basic stuff that you should know if you
> are planning a forked Cygwin release or any sort of distribution
> of open source binaries.

Ok.

"To the setup maintainers": it would be nice add "src" option on
setup.exe, to get the source code of package with the command line.

>>> I think it's more problem
>>
>>I see it as a "bash package" ready to be used by Win Admins ...
>>
>>than it is worth and is likely to cause
>>> confusion within the Cygwin community.
>>
>>I don't see that point of view: This is not a fork of cygwin, only is
>>a "Windows package of cygwin". It is "pure" cygwin.
>
> You're taking our packages, doing something with them and making them
> available on another site.  i.e., you're forking our release.

Ok. Thanks for your appointment.

> You're actually treading on thin ice here since you are trying to get
> help for a release that is not the subject of this mailing list.  That
> makes this whole discussion pretty much off-topic.

Yes, I'm sorry. I will move the discussion to cygwin-talk list if you
don't mind.

> And that's another issue.  We definitely will not be providing support
> for anyone who wanders in here looking for help with problems they
> encounter with your packages.

I TOTALLY agree with this.

And I can add: If they have problems with the "AdminCygwin release",
problems not related to the installation environment (msi, install
shortcuts,...), they must install cygwin from setup.exe, and try to
reproduce the problem.

Thanks a lot for the comments.