Re: Fwd: Subversion packages

Il 11/17/2013 11:30 AM, Kevin Connor Arpe ha scritto:
Hello,

Cygwin currently offerers two Subversion packages.  One from 1.7.x
series and another from 1.8.x series.

Subversion version series are important because local repositories
created by each series (1.6.x, 1.7.x, 1.8.x) are incompatible.  In
short, if you do "svn checkout" with svn 1.6.x, you cannot do "svn
update" with svn 1.7.x or 1.8.x.  For a variety of reasons, at my
office, I am forced to use svn 1.6.x series.  This precludes me from
using standard pre-built Cygwin packages for Subversion work.  I'm
always jumping back to a IDE or DOS box to manage my svn local repos.

I'm not here to complain about this "feature" of Subversion.  AFAIK:
Cygwin seems to normally provide at least two versions of any package.
  That's great, and usually helps.  However, this situation is a bit
rare.  I would like to help make each series available in Cygwin.
I've done some googling on this matter and noticed a few others asking
on mailing lists (not Cygwin, I think) about how to get svn 1.6.x on
the latest Cygwin.  Frankly, there were no satisfying answers.

As a starter, I am happy to volunteer to create a specific Cygwin
package for Subversion 1.6.x.  Additionally, I already built my own
copy of Subversion 1.6.x using Cygwin build toolchain.

Please share you thoughts on this matter.

Kind regards,
Kevin Connor ARPE
Hongkong

In principal no objection to have more variants, we have for some
other programs. In practice how do you avoid collision with the
other subversion versions ?

The program seems not thought with that need in mind.
Current maintainer, David Rothenberger, could have suggestion
or proposal on the matter, but the fact that he is using
current and prev to support 1.8.x and 1.7.x series
at the same time looks bad for your wish.

Have you checked what Fedora, Debian are doing for that need ?

Additional, please look at guidance for package maintainer
http://cygwin.com/setup.html
for maintainer guidelines.

Regards
MArco