This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: ssh logon failure
- From: greenspan <daniel dot greenspan at jhuapl dot edu>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 20:16:20 -0800 (PST)
- Subject: Re: ssh logon failure
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <4FCF00EB dot 2070600 at gmail dot com> <loom dot 20120607T103956-836 at post dot gmane dot org> <4FD07C1D dot 5070909 at gmail dot com> <loom dot 20130807T185544-35 at post dot gmane dot org> <52028508 dot 7000102 at cygwin dot com> <loom dot 20131025T023724-855 at post dot gmane dot org> <5269D1AA dot 5010306 at cygwin dot com> <1384215795240-104252 dot post at n5 dot nabble dot com> <52817C34 dot 2080501 at cygwin dot com>
I feel like a terrier peeling away an onion. Darn it, this is going to work!
I agree with your comment about being in the weeds and started over, in the
process discovering why HOME was set improperly (using the domain switch for
mkpasswd instead of local). I reinstalled ssh, re-ran ssh-host-config, and
now am in this situation: I can ssh in, but only using public key
authentication. Passwords do not work (and they must for this application).
When I use a password, the login process seems like it's working - I see the
MOTD, but am immediately disconnected. The server logs simply state that
the client disconnected. The client -vvv option shows this (everything
before MOTD not shown):
-I have tried temporarily removing my .bashrc, .profile and so on, but this
does not change the issue.
-.ssh is owned by me and is mode 700; all .ssh contents are owned by me and
are mode 600
-I've issued "chmod 600 /etc/ssh*"
-I've manually examined all binaries in /bin, /usr/bin, and /usr/sbin to
verify that they have reasonable modes and owners (all are owned by me (an
administrative user), and all are mode 755)
-I own my directory in /home and it has mode 755
-I am not using PAM
-Passwords are not turned off in /etc/sshd_config
Attached is the output of cygcheck.
View this message in context: http://cygwin.1069669.n5.nabble.com/ssh-logon-failure-tp57002p104282.html
Sent from the Cygwin list mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple