Re: Install puts home in /c/Users

On Oct 18 14:50, Lee wrote:
> >>I am assuming that Windows has decided to make use of the HOME
> >>variable which points to my Windows user account folder home. Does
> >>Cygwin also use this? Can I make Cygwin use its own so I can repoint
> >>it to its original folder?
> >
> >Try modifying /etc/passwd for "myuseraccount" to point the home directory
> >where you want it.
> >
> >cgf
>
> This is what is in /etc/passwd
>
> lsavidge:unused:1001:513:U-Laptop\lsavidge,S-1-5-21-5255265862-4599952367-159522435-1001:/home/lsavidge:/bin/bash
>

> So, U-Laptop\lsavidge matches my laptop name and windows user account.
>
> I assume that this: /home/lsavidge
>
> Is supposed to be where cygwin goes once loaded?
>
> How does it get there? Under the directory in C:\Cygwin64\home there
> are no subdirectories which I would have expected
> C:\Cygwin64\home\lsavidge and for /home/lsavidge to be mapped to that
> directory.

I assume you have a variable called HOME in your windows environment.
If so, remove it and try again.

Also, how do you start Cygwin?  Do you use the default "Cygwin{64}
Terminal" shortcut?  If so, this shouldn't happen since the Cygwin
terminal (aka mintty) will cd to your home dir as in /etc/passwd
when started with the "-" option, as is the case for the Cygwin{64}
Terminal shortcut.

If you start Cygwin via some self-created shortcut, or if you use
the old "Cygwin" shortcut which starts a shell in a console window,
the default is to use $HOME from the environment.

Corinna

Red Hat