Re: having 1 set of non-bin files w/separate {bin,lib}[32/64)? (was Re: please update the supported Cygwin package list ...)

On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 7:33 AM, Linda Walsh wrote:

Hello Linda,

> It seems to be the only reliable 32-bit redirection -- and MS chose to put
> it in the /windows dir... so they must want customers to put anything
> needing
> that feature in that dir...right?? ;-)  Oi...

Absolutely not what MS intended for the /windows directory.  That is
the OS directory and only MS installations should use it.

The /"Program Files" (64bit) and /"Program Files (x86)" (32bit)
directories are where MS directs developers to put their binaries.
However we don't like spaces in path names so this isn't a good
location.

However you the user have a choice of where to put things.  Frankly, I
would use /cygwin and /cygwin32 to segregate similar to what MS did
for Windows but that is just me.  The one thing with Cygwin you need
to be careful of is that 32bit binaries need the 32bit DLL and mixing
and matching may cause you no end of grief.

--
Earnie