Arrow keys do not function as expected when running programs

I am having a problem with Cygwin DLL 1.7.22./bash-4.1 (I believe the newest version). When I run a program from the shell, pressing the arrow keys sends console input to the program and moves the cursor around the terminal rather than having the expected behavior of cycling through the input buffer, i.e. command recall.

This problem exhibits itself while running native windows console programs and and while running cygwin programs such as VI. The up arrow command recall works as expected with these programs in other shells including previous versions of Cygwin. This behavior is also different than bash shell on Linux.

References to other people Experiencing the same issue:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15915844/android-shell-run-on-cygwin-no-autocompletetab-key-previous-commandsup-arro

http://superuser.com/questions/538188/using-up-arrow-in-cygwin-within-command/626967#626967