Re: ptys - I give up

On Jul 26 09:55, Daniel Colascione wrote:

> >> I'm also against screen scrapers. That's why I wrote this library: it doesn't
> >> poll. It actually intercepts console APIs and implements console handles as
> >> pseudohandles, just like Windows <= 7 did, forwarding console API requests to a
> >> server. Any console program that works with Windows 7 should work with this
> >> library.
> >
> > Out of curiosity, can you expand what you mean here?  I see a difference
> > between Windows pre-7 and Windows 7 and later.
>
> Conhost exists to solve the problem Raymond Chen described here:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2007/12/31/6909007.aspx. Conhost
> exists so there's something running with lower privileges that can draw console
> UI --- it's a broker. The actual console-ing still happens entirely in user mode
> though, with the functions in kernel32 conspiring to provide the illusion that
> the system has something called a console handle.
>
> In Windows 8, the implementation is completely different. There, console handles
> are real kernel objects.

Really?  That's entirely new to me.  Do you know if there's some description
available?  What are the implications?  Are console handles now handles to
something like named pipes as well?  Is there a console FS comparable to
\Device\NamedPipe\?

> Anyway, that pre-8 Windows used pseudo-handles for console handles is a good
> thing now. It means that any library that tries to intercept all console
> functions doesn't need to emulate all possible operations on console handles:
> instead, it just needs to emulate the operations Windows actually allowed on
> console handles, which was actually a fairly limited subset of what's allowed
> for handles in general.
>
> Another way of saying it is that it's easy to fake console handles because
> Windows, too, was faking all along.

But then again, doesn't that mean that your method stops working on W8?

Corinna

Red Hat