Re: ptys - I give up

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 11:44:32PM -0700, Daniel Colascione wrote:
>On 7/25/2013 11:13 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>It has been suggested here a couple of times that it might be a good
>>idea for Cygwin to fill out the block that it sends to subprocesses
>>with information that fools msvcrt programs into thinking that its ptys
>>are really consoles.
>
>My suggestion was to use the lpReserved2 CRT block to send fake
>filetype information, but there's something better.

Yes, that's why I mentioned your name.

>Ugly, only half-implemented, but better: a hook-based pseudoconsole
>system for Windows.

This is what I was holding out for.  The last time it came up here,
people seemed vehemently opposed to the idea since implementations that
do this (like the Console app and a couple of libraries floating around)
seem to have to poll the console looking for data and that could result
in data loss.

I have had code (not mine) sitting in my Cygwin directory for years
which does this but I couldn't 100% convince myself that the detractors
for this idea weren't right.  Does your code work around this?

cgf