Re: ptys - I give up

> It has been suggested here a couple of times that it might be a good
> idea for Cygwin to fill out the block that it sends to subprocesses with
> information that fools msvcrt programs into thinking that its ptys are
> really consoles.

My suggestion was to use the lpReserved2 CRT block to send fake filetype
information, but there's something better.

Ugly, only half-implemented, but better: a hook-based pseudoconsole system for
Windows. I got as far as implementing the actual console system hooks, but
didn't wire them up to anything (like Cygwin ptys). I was about to start writing
a test suite for it and got distracted. In principle, something like this makes
it possible to also grant job control to groups of regular windows processes.
(Since you then know which ones belong to which process groups.)

https://github.com/dcolascione/conio

I have no idea whether this even builds anymore. I haven't compiled it in months.