ptys - I give up

It has been suggested here a couple of times that it might be a good
idea for Cygwin to fill out the block that it sends to subprocesses with
information that fools msvcrt programs into thinking that its ptys are
really consoles.

Back in 2010, there was a flurry of discussion that I shot down, hoping
for a better solution.  Since none has materialized, I have concluded
that I was wrong to hold hostage a solution that would have made things
better for a lot of people.

I have done some googling and see that Andy Koppe and Daniel Colascione
seemed to have something working (maybe that's where rlwrap comes from?)
but I don't either of them submitted a patch.  I thought that I
remembered seeing an actual code change for Cygwin but, it's late, and I
can't find it.

Does anyone remember if there was actual code submitted for the Cygwin
DLL?  If so, a link would be appreciated.

cgf