This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Process command lines for Cygwin processes no longer viewable in Windows task manager as of Cygwin 1.7.21
- From: Christopher Faylor <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 11:10:50 -0400
- Subject: Re: Process command lines for Cygwin processes no longer viewable in Windows task manager as of Cygwin 1.7.21
- References: <51F08F9D dot 6020606 at coverity dot com> <20130725082814 dot GA5124 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <51F1265B dot 1040704 at cwilson dot fastmail dot fm> <51F133E4 dot 6040506 at coverity dot com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 10:19:16AM -0400, Tom Honermann wrote:
>On 07/25/2013 09:21 AM, Charles Wilson wrote:
>> On 7/25/2013 4:28 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>> On Jul 24 22:38, Tom Honermann wrote:
>>>> My suspicion that this started with 1.7.21 is based on Corinna's
>>>> comments in http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-07/msg00343.html and
>>>> other anecdotal evidence of new problems occurring as of that
>>> This is by design now as described in the aforementioned posting. If
>>> you want to see the command line of a Cygwin application called by
>>> another Cygwin application, see /proc/$pid/cmdline.
>> Would a patch to restore the previous operation based on a $CYGWIN
>> variable setting be acceptable?
>I think this change should be reverted.
You were relying on a bug in Cygwin. Older versions of the DLL did not
provide the full command line. It was only after the bug entered into
the source code that it did. Not providing the windows command line is
an optimization for Cygwin programs.
>In my case, I need to be able to retrieve the command line for a Cygwin
>process from a non-Cygwin process. Reading /proc/$pid/cmdline is not an
>option in that case. I depend on the ability to, for example,
>differentiate gcc processes that are running based on their command line
>Note that strace is currently broken as well. Running it against a
It's not strace that's broken. That's just a simple fix to the DLL.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple