This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: setup-x86_64: postinstall errors: Package bash 1, Package a2ps 2 and xinit 134
- From: Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 15:22:39 +0200
- Subject: Re: setup-x86_64: postinstall errors: Package bash 1, Package a2ps 2 and xinit 134
- References: <CADex0xx+uY6Y8ngZ3tUsYr+KPi0t0+H+H7X-civ-iq0diuJfZw at mail dot gmail dot com> <51EE0951 dot 90007 at users dot sourceforge dot net> <51EEC7F2 dot 5000402 at cwilson dot fastmail dot fm> <20130723184615 dot GK9689 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <51EED4B4 dot 7000908 at cwilson dot fastmail dot fm> <20130723192342 dot GM9689 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <51EFD0EB dot 6030804 at cwilson dot fastmail dot fm>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On Jul 24 09:04, Charles Wilson wrote:
> On 7/23/2013 3:23 PM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >On Jul 23 15:08, Charles Wilson wrote:
> >>But even if /bin/bash is elevated, it doesn't follow that any of the
> >>tools launched within a script -- via cygwin's fork/exec method --
> >>ALSO retain that elevation.
> >>Does it?
> >Yes, it does. CreateProcess propagates its own user token untouched.
> >Weird question. Did you ever start an elevated shell and lost your
> >admin permissions in a child process? If that would occur, nothing
> >would work right in an admin shell. Even the `id' call would not show
> >the admins group in your supplementary group list.
> OK. At one point I thought there was an issue with propagating
> elevation, but I guess not.
> So...is it possible to launch setup*.exe in an UNelevated context
> (somehow bypassing the UAC detection, even though we don't ship a
> manifest)? Then, if the user selects 'Install for All Users' you
> would see this problem.
Yes. The only thing we could do about that, would be to change
the manifest to start the 32 bit version always as admin, just as
the 64 bit setup.
On second thought, I wonder if we should get rid of the "All users"/
"Just me" selection entirely.
Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple