This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Adding MSYS functionality to Cygwin
- From: Christopher Faylor <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 22:03:54 -0400
- Subject: Re: Adding MSYS functionality to Cygwin
- References: <CABEPuQJDLjtbcLig1isTUJgb6RBCD8LNShbm9mTPcb9WM5S5fw at mail dot gmail dot com> <51C0B08E dot 8080900 at etr-usa dot com> <20130618193101 dot GB4868 at ednor dot casa dot cgf dot cx> <51C0D024 dot 7000404 at etr-usa dot com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 03:24:52PM -0600, Warren Young wrote:
>On 6/18/2013 13:31, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 01:10:06PM -0600, Warren Young wrote:
>>>> 3. In MSYS mode Cygwin need to be very portable
>>> It would indeed be nice to have a portable Cygwin. That is, one that
>>> could be run from a copied directory or USB key, without being formally
>>> installed. Such a thing would need to solve the 3PP problem, though,
>>> which is Hard (tm).
>> Why wouldn't that work now? You can copy cygwin1.dll anywhere you want.
>Because FAQ item 4.19, and because 3PP.
The FAQ is out-of-date. Multiple Cygwin copies should coexist peacefully
these days although it still is something that we wouldn't necessarily
advocate for a novice user.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple