Re: What comes with Cygwin?

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 10:59:24AM -0600, Warren Young wrote:
>On 5/14/2013 10:44, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>I don't think the documentation should be considered the definitive
>>source for this since it is likely to change over time and the
>>documentation is likely to be out of date.
>
>It wouldn't be too hard to take this a few steps further and completely
>automate the process of building that list.  Then it could be a make
>target in the docs, generating an .xml fragment file that's XIncluded
>into the docs somewhere.
>
>You'd probably have to check the fragment into CVS and periodically
>regenerate it on a Cygwin system, since you probably can't build it on
>a Linux box, since it depends on being able to run cygcheck.
>
>The generator can date the output, too: "As of May 14, 2013..."

Or, use setup.exe to check the "Base" category and find out immediately
what's going to be installed.  I don't see why it is important to have
potentially out-of-date information listed in the documentation when you
are going to be running setup.exe eventually anyway and you can get
the definitive list there.

If web access is really a must-have, another possibility would be to
offer a category view in the cygwin package lister.  Then the
documentation could link to that.

cgf