Re: trouble accessing samba shares with spaces and/or parentheses

Greetings, bartels!

>> BTW: Why the insistence on mapping it to a drive letter? Everybody always does that and I don't understand why. Drive letters change. Some
>> people hard code 'em in their scripts. This is a recipe for errors. Other people say sometimes that some Windows apps can't work with UNC
>> paths. I don't know of any that have this problem anymore. Q:/ doesn't tell me where this directly is located...

> No reason, really, other than the fact that Windoze forces us to access physical storage devices via the silly drive letters .

What? Where did you get this impression?
This is not true for 18 years at least.

> Not using drive letters would mean I have two different presentations: one for local storage and one for remote storage.
> When in Rome . . .

> And is there a way to mount a network share without a drive letter, using cygwin?

> More importantly, is it possible to mount a network share, using cygwin, so that it becomes visible/available in explorer?
> The scope of mounting seems to be limited to a process (tree). Every service must mount separately.
> Or have I missed something?

It's always available in Explorer. It is capable of handling UNC paths
transparently. Since Win '95.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...