Problem after updating and reinstalling.

I am currently taking intro to computer programming and my professor told me
to post in this forum since he didn't know what my error message was. He
told everyone in the class to update the Cygwin software by going to the
website and clicking on the download link. I have read a lot of things on
this site that I don't understand. Can some one please help me. I have
programs that I need to compile and run for class.

After I ran the install it popped up a new new shortcut on the desktop. So
now I have two. The old one and the new one. When I clicked on the new one
and typed in gcc and the name of the program that I needed to compile it
said: .c:0: fatal error: can't open /tmp/ccASZhsx.s for writing: No such
file or directory
compilation terminated. Does anyone one now what this mean and how I can fix
this error? According to my book it said to open up CMD and at the C:\ type
PATH %PATH;c:\cygwin\bin. So I closed Cygwin and opened up CMD and typed in
the path re-open cygwin and still got the same message. When I type ls into
Cygwin I can see my programs and my .c files but I can't compile any of
them.

The same thing happens when I open the old one as well.