Re: Cygwin fresh install imports Windows PATH which includes spaces causing errors

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 05:57:40PM +0200, Aaron Schneider wrote:
>On 24/07/2012 17:50, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>
>> The Cygwin version of make would not display "c:" anything.  That's not
>> a Cygwin path specification and it shouldn't even be possible for a
>> Cygwin program to see the Windows PATH environment variable.  You must
>> be running a non-cygwin make.  Spaces in the PATH are acceptable on both
>> Linux and Cygwin and Windows.
>>
>> That said, however, make does not deal well with spaces in file
>> specifications.  If something is actually parsing a PATH environment
>> variable then it could cause problems.
>
>It was actually that make wasn't installed, it works now. I was
>expecting the usual "bash: make: command not found"

You apparently didn't grok the part about "it shouldn't even be possible
for a Cygwin program to see the Windows PATH environment variable".
Having "c:\Program Files\something" in the PATH is very common on
Windows.  I have it in my path and I don't see anything like this when I
try to run a nonexistent command.  You must have something else going on
if you are getting errors with "c:" in them.  If you saw this error then
you likely aren't using a Cygwin shell.

If you have further problems then you should (re)read
http://cygwin.com/problems.html .  Your takeaway from that would
probably be that you need to send cygcheck output as an attachment but
the real reason for that web page is to start you thinking about how to
send a problem report.  Sending an error message with no other
supporting details is not the most efficient way to get a problem
solved.