RE: rxvt loses output connection with non cygwin console processes

I apologize, I forgot to mention that I tried both with and without the new
"pipe_byte" CYGWIN option.  It made no difference.

To OP: you'll definitely want to look into using the new "pipe_byte" option
since you are working with non-Cygwin processes.  See the thread I started
late last month titled "Cygwin passes through null writes to other software
when redirecting standard input/output".  If you redirect standard input for
a non-Cygwin program, you'll be affected.