Re: bad performance when opening many files on Win7

On May  8 18:38, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen writes:
> > How did you do that?  The ACLs in the Cygwin default dirs are supposed
> > to contain only three ACEs, one for the installing user, one for the
> > local admin group, and one for everyone.  At least that's how setup.exe
> > installs them.
>
> These are inherited from the settings in C:\, AFAIK (the list is
> extracted from the output of icacls for each file in /usr/bin).  I have
> another test installation that may differ in minor details since it
> hasn't been in use for many years, but in principle the output of icacls
> looks the same for both.  I can remove the test installation and install
> it completely fresh if there's hope to get this problem resolved.

No idea if that helps, actually I doubt it.  I was just wondering since
this is not how setup creates the permissions.

> > Btw., my machine and my account are domain members as well.  Obviously
> > all entries in /usr/bin have an Everyone ACE.  My ls -l takes only about
> > 1.2 secs with > 2200 entries in /usr/bin.
>
> Running ls is considerably faster on my machine as well (but probably
> not under 3 seconds, that machine has a slow disk and that it is almost
> full doesn't really help, even with regular defragmentation).  One
> application that shows the behviour I'm talking(*) about is pod2html,
> and it finishes in almost no time when I simply remove "bin" from the
> podpath argument.

I don't know how to use pod2html.  Please send a simple usage example
which works out of the box, so that I can see if I can reproduce this
behaviour.

> If it makes a difference, I am running this as
> administrator under Win7 Pro/32 (but presumably the same or a very

Metoo, with UAC enabled.

Corinna

Red Hat