This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
error mounting smb shared with ~ in name
- From: Daniel D <ruby_user at hotmail dot com>
- To: <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 21:52:35 -0700
- Subject: error mounting smb shared with ~ in name
Is ~ allowed on a smb share name when mounting it? I keep getting errors
while trying to mount //server/~foo via fstab.
If yes, can someone give me some tips for what to do to mount a share named
Hereâs what I already tried:
- ls //server/~foo works â prints out the content for the dir
- editing fstab, and adding
//server/~foo /mnt/~foo smbfs binary,noacl 0 0
This printed out
mount: /mnt/~foo: Invalid argument
- changing in fstab, from //server/~foo to //server/xyz -- this worked.
I.e. mount âa does not print out âmount: /mnt/~foo: Invalid argumentâ, and
`ls /mnt/~foo` prints out the content of //server/xzy
- mounting the smb share directly did not worked either. Running
mount //server/~foo /mnt/foo
also prints out the invalid argument error.
It looks like mount command does not like ~ in the smb share name, though it
is fine with ~ in the the mount point name. Unfortunately changing the share
name is not an easy task, and I prefer making this work rather than always
using long paths with hard-coded remote hostnames.
TIA for any help.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple