This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Escaping spaces in filenames with umlauts after updating from 1.7.9 to 1.7.10
- From: Bastian Mathes <bastian dot mathes at raytion dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 14:36:35 +0200
- Subject: Escaping spaces in filenames with umlauts after updating from 1.7.9 to 1.7.10
after updating from 1.7.9 to 1.7.10 I experience a changed behavior when
quoting filenames with umlauts. For example if I have a file ÃÃÃ.pdf in
the current folder with cygwin 1.7.9
worked, but with cygwin 1.7.10 that gives
ls: cannot access "ÃÃÃ.pdf": No such file or directory
with both version
(without double quotes) works fine, so a real issue occurs if umlauts
and spaces occur together in a filename. If the file is called
"ÃÃÃ ÃÃÃ.pdf", I can use
ls "ÃÃÃ ÃÃÃ.pdf"
in 1.7.9 but did not find a way to address this file in 1.7.10.
- I use the standard windows command line (cmd.exe), not a cygwin
terminal window (my cygwin\bin directory is the first entry in my PATH).
However the issue is the same if I call cygwin commands from within
another (java,python,...) program.
- this issue is the same for 1.7.11
- I used a 1.7.9 installation and only updated the package cygwin in the
category Base for this issue to occur. It is the same if I update all
packages to the latest version
- tests were done with an English Windows Vista
- I only tested German umlauts, don't know if this issues occur with
other non-7bit characters
- the output of a call to locale is
Did anybody experience the same issues ? is there a solution or workaround ?
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple