Re: emacsclient from cygwin distro does not work with Cygwin emacs

On 14/03/2012, at 12:36 AM, Ken Brown wrote:

> On 3/13/2012 9:04 AM, Markus Hoenicka wrote:
>> Leo <leoslists@letterboxes.org> was heard to say:
>>
>>> Well, the directory does exist. Furthermore I tried it with
>>> "~/.emacsdata/server/" (tilde instead of expanded home directory)
>>> first and it doesn't work. Strange thing is it *does* work in NTemacs
>>> with the tilde: I can see, that NTemacs creates a file named "server"
>>> in the directory "~/.emacsdata/server/"" and emacsclient then finds
>>> that file.
>>
>> I can confirm that Emacs does not honor server-auth-dir. I did not
>> customize this variable or alter it otherwise. Its value is
>> "~/.emacs.d/server/" which is apparently a hard-coded default. However,
>> my server file is in "/tmp/emacs45021/", not in "~/.emacs.d/server/". If
>> I quit Emacs and create "~/.emacs.d/server/" (which did not exist on my
>> system), Emacs still does not use this directory when I start it again.
>
> I'll look into this as soon as I can.  I don't use emacsclient, so I'll need some help.  Please give me step-by-step instructions for reproducing the problem, preferably starting with `emacs -Q'.  Tell me what happens and what should happen (with pointers to the documentation).

Ok, I will check the behaviour without setting the auth dir and launching emacs with -Q and go back to you.

> BTW, have either of you tried this on Linux to see if it behaves the way you expect?

Well, a quick try on Mac OSX shows that the server file does not seem to get created in the auth dir location either. But on Mac OSX it doesn't matter for me, because I don't use the server feature: I can just drag files from Finder on to emacs (and don't need the workaround via emacsclient and send-to…)

Cheers, Leo