Re: [SOLVED:] Re: make producing basename error that can't be captured by "make &> make.out"

On 3/1/2012 10:50 PM, Dave Korn wrote:

I think it's because aliases are just simple text substitutions. So if you have 'make' being transformed to 'settitle Making $(basename $PWD)&& make "$@"' then you would get 'make>& make.out' becoming 'settitle Making $(basename $PWD)&& make "$@">& make.out' and as you see the redirect only gets applied to the command after the '&&'.

     cheers,
       DaveK

Dave:

Ah, I understand.

I wrapped the whole alias in paras and am now getting all errors put into make.out, including the basename.

I'll go and figure out some way to filter $(PWD) to be acceptable to basename.

Many thanks for taking the time to help,
Paul