This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Recent upgrade to wish leads to a problem
- From: marco atzeri <marco dot atzeri at gmail dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 21:06:51 +0100
- Subject: Re: Recent upgrade to wish leads to a problem
- Authentication-results: mr.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of firstname.lastname@example.org designates 10.68.130.138 as permitted sender) email@example.com; dkim=pass firstname.lastname@example.org
- References: <70952A932255A2489522275A628B97C3129F4CE4@xmb-sjc-233.amer.cisco.com> <4F4FC897.email@example.com>
On 3/1/2012 8:05 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
[your mailer doesn't set In-Reply-To correctly, which means you are
starting a bunch of new threads instead of replying in-thread]
On 03/01/2012 10:53 AM, Matt Seitz (matseitz) wrote:
"Yaakov (Cygwin/X)" wrote:
Using X requires user intervention to start an X server first. No
amount of automatic dependencies will change this, and therefore I
expect that the number of questions would change one iota.
You don't think that Setup telling the user "package xyz requires
package xinit" might at least tip off some users that running xyz now
requires starting an X server?
Even if it doesn't reduce the questions, would it at least reduce the
problem of users now having to run Setup a second time to download and
install the xinit package?
While I can't control whether Yaakov adds xinit as a dependency to
tcl-tk, I personally wouldn't mind adding xinit as a prereq to gitk and
git-gui, since I maintain that package. There's still that annoyance
factor that just depending on xinit won't get X running, but at least it
will let you download all the bits in one run of setup.exe instead of
hitting the FAQ and finding out you have to rerun setup.exe.
I understand the logic of Yaakov, but I expect that 99.9% of user using
git-gui will use the x-server on cygwin.
At least the mantainer of clisp-clx had the same thought
about its package:
sdesc: "The new-clx module linkset for clisp"
ldesc: "This is the linkset full+new-clx for X.Org."
requires: clisp xorg-server libXpm4 libXt6 cygwin
So your proposal for gittk and git-gui fits in the same view
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple