Re: Cygwin Time Machine gone? [Was: Re: Change to passwd in cygwin-1.7.10-1 breaks ssh-host-config]

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012, Charles Wilson wrote:

On 2/22/2012 8:31 PM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
For individual lines there is a "New" column and I'm familiar with the
cycling behavior between things like Keep, Uninstall, Reinstall, Skip
and current and older version numbers. But this is on a by package
basis. What I'm asking for is a button or way to say "Oh this is 1.7.10.
I want all of the Cygwin things that were associated with 1.7.9. Toggle
all of the packages back to their versions that were released when 1.7.9
was released". Maybe such a beast doesn't exist...

Well, there is the Cygwin Time Machine: http://www.fruitbat.org/Cygwin/index.html#cygwincirca Unfortunately, it seems that the actual package repository has been deleted -- at least if I surf to one of the snapshot dirs using firefox:

ftp://www.fruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/2012/02/22/024010/

Peter, is CTM dead? Or is it simply that 'ls' is disabled?

Hi Chuck, It's still there and updated every day. You just can't browse it :-( I had some problems with people over in russia doing a recursive wget on the entire time machine. My uplink isn't very big, so it ran constantly for days (causing some horrible performance lags on my side) before I decided I had to force the connection and disable all listing functions. So, you can't 'ls' the directories anymore. But, if you know the layout of the repository (full file path) you can certainly get the files themselves. The CTM was originally setup to be used by the Cygwin Setup program. Since the setup.ini has the file paths it can get the files without any problems.

--
Chuck

-- Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com> "Cats are just autistic Dogs" -- Dr. Tony Attwood