1.7.10 cygrunsrv.exe fails with "fork: 11, Resource temporarily unavailable"

Pardon me if this is old news, but searching the mailing lists has not yielded a solution that solves the problems I'm having on this computer.

system is Windows XP Professional (patched up to date), Cygwin version is:
$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-5.1 CADMAN 1.7.10(0.259/5/3) 2012-02-05 12:36 i686 Cygwin

I can register a service such as rsyncd using cygrunsrv (cygrunsrv -R <options>), but when I try to start it, the 'error 1062' appears on the command line and the following error appears in the Application log:

rsyncd: PID 3216: starting service `rsyncd' failed: fork: 11, Resource temporarily unavailable.

ALSO: run.exe fails silently. No output (called application does not run), no error, nothing in the logs.

I'm not sure when this started, and I don't know how to find a pre-compiled older version of cygwin. (I only see what I'm guessing are source code tarballs of setup.exe in the archives).

I'm running Cygwin on many dozens of other computers, and this is the only one that has this problem.

Reinstallation (of 1.7.9 and 1.7.10) has not fixed the problem; even after completely deleting all of C:\cygwin.

Changing the stack size using regtool (regtool.exe -i set /HKLM/Software/Cygwin/heap_chunk_in_mb 2048) has not fixed the problem.

I looked at the BLODA (http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda) and tried completely uninstalling Spybot S&D, and this did not fix the problem.

What is the next thing I should try to troubleshoot this?

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator