Re: Symlinks and sharing a home directory between Windows and Linux

On 12/16/2011 11:46 AM, Jon Clugston wrote:
On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Andrew DeFaria<Andrew@defaria.com> wrote:
On 12/15/2011 07:40 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

I'm having difficulty seeing how what you have described could work unless the consumers of these files are looking for symlinks only, which your example above contradicts. And both of the ".bashrc" files are registering as plain files, so I think you're right that the file system on which they reside is coming into play, assuming the output above is from Cygwin's 'ls'. But even if you had ".bashrc" and ".bashrc.lnk" with the former being a UNIX-form of symlink and the latter being the Cygwin one, I'd still expect Cygwin to recognize ".bashrc" first and only go looking for the .lnk version if it couldn't find that.

I would think that Cygwin should see the .lnk version first. No? I guess not. I thought it worked that way before.

This would be a performance disaster - forcing a check for 'x.lnk' every time the software tried to access file 'x'. I doubt that it worked that way before.

Correct. It did not work this way for the reason you stated.

--
Larry