RE: Cygwin slow on x64 systems?

Tim McDaniel:
BLODA is the Big List Of Dodgy Apps, apparently from
http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda
    44. What applications have been found to interfere with Cygwin?

In case anyone cares about the details of my datum, and in case anyone ever searches for the exact system in the archives:

It lists "Norton/McAfee/Symantec antivirus or antispyware".  In my
case, the exact installable is called Symantec Endpoint Protection.
"Integrated antivirus, antispyware, firewall, and intrusion prevention
as well as device control and application control" and "Powerful
central management of security", so it's antivirus and antispyware and
more.

Before uninstalling Symantec Endpoint Protection (note: no Superfetch,
and Program Compatibility Assistant disabled in gpedit policy edit,
but the PCA Service running):

$ time echo hi | read x

real    0m1.928s
user    0m0.031s
sys     0m0.031s

After uninstalling Symantec Endpoint Protection (no changes to
Superfetch or PCA Service):

$ time echo hi | read x

real    0m0.093s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.061s

Unfortunately, now I'm required to reinstall.

--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd@panix.com