Nuances of updating cygwin DLL

I notice a thread on cygwin's inability to create folders/files on a network
drive (http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-08/msg00136.html).  Corinna's advice to
use to snapshot worked for me.  However, I found that when I upgraded cygwin
some time afterward, the problem recurred.  I had to re-do the advice that she
posted.

That thread was posted well in the past, and I wanted to check if the snapshot
from that time has made it into the cygwin update.  The most straightforward way
seemed to be comparing dll file dates.  To find what file was relevant, I did
"cygcheck -cvs" and used vim to search for the pattern "cygwin\f*\.dll" (without
quotes), which showed cygwin1.dll.  The page
http://cygwin.com/packages/cygwin/cygwin-1.7.9-1 showed that cygwin1.dll is
still dated 29 Mar 2011, which means it's from well before the above thread.
Approximately how often do the solutions in the snapshots get incorporated into
the packages that are installed/updated with Setup.exe?

The reason why I wanted to update cygwin was to update octave.  It's wavread
function has a bug, and I wanted to see if it was solved.  Since I suspect that
the cygwin.dll is pretty central to the unix environment offered to
applications, would it be wise to update octave without udpating cygwin?  (My
next step is to search for octave release notes to determine whether the bug is
fixed in the version that comes with cygwin).