This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: troubles with forking program (not the usual probs though...)
Markus Hoenicka <email@example.com> was heard to complain:
I've managed to screw up a forking program (refdbd, from
http://refdb.sourceforge.net) in an attempt to install R which I
need at work. This does not look like the widely reported fork
failures as I do not get any diagnostic output - things just don't
work as expected anymore. setup ran uneventfully, except that it
failed to upgrade libatk the first time as it was probably in use,
so I ran setup a second time after closing all programs. I've
appended the log of both runs just in case.
After a few hours of sleep I Looked at the update log again. Only
binutils (containing the linker) and mysql-related packages (refdbd
was set up to use the MySQL client library) were likely to affect
refdbd. Downgrading binutils didn't help. Downgrading the
MySQL-related packages was not possible as there are no previous
versions available in setup. However, switching to a different
database engine (sqlite3) made refdbd return to normal. Therefore I
suspect that refdbd was screwed up by upgrading the MySQL client
library. I'll follow up on this on the Cygwin Ports list.
AQ score 38
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple