Re: openssh.README is wrong.

On Apr  2 05:26, Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:

> openssh.README is wrong.

Nope.

> It says:

A full quote was really not necessary.  Quoting the relevant part
would have been sufficient.

>     The new ssh-host-config script also adds the /var/empty directory
>     needed by privilege separation.  When creating the /var/empty directory
>     by yourself, please note that in contrast to the README.privsep document
>     the owner sshould not be "root" but the user which is running sshd.  So,
>     in the standard configuration this is SYSTEM.  The ssh-host-config script
>     chowns /var/empty accordingly.
>
> But when I "chown sshd /var/empty ; chmod 700 /var/empty", I still get
> the error message:

Sure enough.  Read again.

First of all, it says that the ssh-host-config script will do that for
you, so you don't have to do it by yourself.

Second, it says that /var/empty should be owned by "the user which is
running sshd".  It does *NOT* say /var/empty should be owned by "the
user called sshd".  Now check the user name of the user running the sshd
service, probably "cyg_server" and call `chown cyg_server /var/empty".

>     pjb@lassell ~
>     $ /usr/sbin/sshd
>     /var/empty must be owned by root and not group or world-writable.

When you're trying to start sshd on the comand line, the /var/empty file
should be owned by your own account.

However, why don't you just run ssh-host-config, install ssh as a service
and be done with it?

Corinna

Red Hat