This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Windows OS and uname; compatability
- From: Fergus <fergus at bonhard dot uklinux dot net>
- To: Cygwin ML <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Cc: Fergus <fergus at bonhard dot uklinux dot net>
- Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 16:49:42 +0000
- Subject: Windows OS and uname; compatability
Thanks to a previous responder I now know that in response to uname:
NT-5.0 = W2000
NT-5.1 = XP
NT-6.0 = Vista
NT-6.1 = W7
Q1 Can anybody please tell me the corresponding information for W98?
Q2 Are there ways of distinguishing between XP / XP-64, Vista /
Vista-64, W7 / W7-64 using uname in Cygwin (or anything else)?
Q3 On a machine I was assured was W7-64 (but did not check this) I ran
the Legacy version of Cygwin 1.5.25 on a portable stick with no evident
difficulties whatsoever. I had earlier understood this not to work.
(Also, that Cygwin 1.7 won't run on W98.) Can you confirm that 1.5 on
W7-64 (or any 64?) and 1.7 on W98 are both non-runners?
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple