This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Brand new setup ends up not where intended (?but at default)
- From: Greg Chicares <gchicares at sbcglobal dot net>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 14:56:09 +0000
- Subject: Re: Brand new setup ends up not where intended (?but at default)
- References: <4D2AE66F.firstname.lastname@example.org>
On 2011-01-10 10:58Z, Fergus wrote:
> Intention: to install legacy version 1.5 on drive I: (ie not default)
[...some directories are created on I:, but...]
> and what has actually happened is that the installation has been placed
> under C:\cygwin\.
I installed it on XP (where it's unsupported) with similar symptoms.
I specified C:/cygwin-1_5 as root; but a C:/Cygwin directory was
created too, and most of the files wound up there. Two iterations of
- remove unwanted default C:/Cygwin
- run setup-legacy again
gave a working installation in C:/cygwin-1_5 , and no C:/Cygwin .
> I did NOT clean the registry. Things were properly uninstalled (ie I had
> umount'ed everything) but without doubt the registry will have had
> trailing vestigial references to Cygwin and Cygnus Solutions, though
> essentially empty. Could this be the problem?
Probably not: I've seen these symptoms right after reinstalling the OS.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple