Re: .exe magic in Cygwin

> Cygport is rather similar to emerge/ebuild already. ?You might find it
> worthwhile to give it a look.

I am aware of this. I want come to a solution, that builds me from
sources on any of Windows, Mac and Linux.  One to rule them all. I did
only find Gentoo Prefix to be able to do this.

> If all you need is a way to install existing Cygwin packages from the
> command line, you can do that quite well with setup.exe. ?It has many
> command line options which help automate the installation process.

I hoped so. Probably I will have to use that exessivly to set up the basics.

> If you want to build a replacement anyway, you should probably delve
> into why nothing like what you want exists already. ?This issue comes up
> repeatedly on this list, so you should be able to find much in the list
> archives.

I found a project called Gentoo on Cygwin. It was abandoned in 2008.

http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/HOWTO_Gentoo_on_Cygwin

The Gentoo Prefix approach is a little different. It is not a first
level, but a second level software manager, completely in the
userspace. It sits on it's own prefix as the name tells. It is simply
a folder that I can put into any POSIX environment. There is no need
to replace all of Cygwin.

It is a living project that already works on Mac, Unix and Informix.
The missing link is Cygwin.

I have documented the current achievements
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Prefix/

Al