Re: "run" changes behavior with cygwin-17.6

On Aug 18 20:47, Andy Koppe wrote:
> On 18 August 2010 20:39, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >>It affects every program which calls CreateProcess or ShellExecute, for
> >>instance. ÂThis includes GDB, tcl, run, run2, cygstart, etc.
> >
> > And, the current change affects every one of those programs and more.
>
> Right, that's a pretty big argument for favouring Windows integration
> rather than Linux compatibility here. So what would be the
> consequences of not allowing the current working directory of a
> running process to be deleted?

> >>I disagree. ÂWhen do you change the directory to //?/pipe then? ÂThe
> >>first time chdir is called?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> I'm not convinced such a compromise would be worthwhile, because it
> would forfeit Linux compatibility while still breaking some
> Win32-using programs. I think it should be one way or the other:
> either stick with the current approach, or always sync the Win32
> working directory up-to-date (except when that's not possible).

The question here is a bit tricky, me thinks.

1) Do we want as much POSIX compatibility as possible?

2) Do we want POSIX compatibility but not compromise on Win32 compatibility?

3) Do we want as much POSIX compatibility as possible, but are willing
   to compromise if it breaks backward compatibility in the Win32 realms?

Right now I tend strongly to 1, but I'm still open to 3 if the problems
are really too heavy.

Corinna

Red Hat