This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: ping "Operation not permitted" on Windows 7
- From: "Larry Hall (Cygwin)" <reply-to-list-only-lh at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 12:09:58 -0400
- Subject: Re: ping "Operation not permitted" on Windows 7
- References: <20100625070754.GA9919@panix.com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On 6/25/2010 3:07 AM, David Arnstein wrote:
Using Windows 7 Professional, cygwin, mintty,and bash. All are up to date.
I am getting this:
$ type ping
ping is hashed (/usr/bin/ping)
$ ping www.microsoft.com
ping: socket: Operation not permitted
If I launch mintty "Run as administrator" from Windows, then no such
I have tried re-installing the "ping" package via cygwin setup.exe. No
Output from "cygcheck -s -v -r" attached. Any suggestions?
Cygwin's ping has always required administrative privileges to work. If
this is not acceptable, the current work-around is to use the Windows
version of ping.
Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX
Holliston, MA 01746
Q: Are you sure?
A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top posting annoying in email?
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple